Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Some find it easy.

Last Tuesday, I was at home babysitting my brother, still working on the essays for English class. I find it funny when I'm dealing with a problem and everything around me suddenly changes, it becomes all related to the topic I'm dealing with.
There's news and polls about abortion on TV ever since I chose that topic, but it shocked me to know that people close to me were dealing with this at the momet. I get a call from one of my closest friends, and tells me that she could probably be pregnant. What? I was shocked and didn't know what to say, I just never expected something like that from her, she always seemed to have her life together. Good student, mature, and very intelligent...then how did this happen?
One of my subtopics was how teenagers nowadays become sexually active at a younger age, my friend seems to be one of them. She told me how everything happened, and though her partner used protection, she somehow felt that something went wrong. What bothers me is the immediate reaction of the guy: he freaks out, he gets scared and begs her to have an abortion...
She hesitated to say anything, for she considered it was just a panic attack, but as days went by, he kept asking her not to keep the baby... His attitude towards her changed completely, he began to act in a very rude and insensitive way to the point that he told her she never was a friend to her, she was a mistake, and that he did her a favor. Now, my friend knows better, she's not letting him affect the position in which she stands, which is AGAINST abortion, but she doesn't understand why he changed all this much, they've known each other for years!
Why does a guy feel so comfortable in suggesting an abortion? Why can't they put themselves in our position and understand that it's not like choosing a shirt over an other? HELLO! There's a life at sake here! He said one of the reasons was because he didn't want to have children with the wrong person...OK, that's understandable, in fact very nice, but then why take the risk when you know what the outcome is? No one is exempt from reality! I'm proud of my friend for not changing her point of view regarding abortion, both of us think that abortion is not an answer to the problem. The problem really is, making bad decisions that get you to this other situation which sometimes takes the lives of many children before they're even born...

No comments:

Post a Comment